Correlation of Prolactin Level and Hypothyroidism in Both Primary and Secondary Infertility in Andhra Pradesh Females
Background: Infertility in females is complex global problem. It has multiple social consequences, which are usually associated
with thyroid and prolactin hormone impairments.
Methods: Forty-five primary and 45 secondary infertile women were studied complete hemogram, transvaginal of perineum and
abdomen, and chest-X-ray. Thyroid function test, prolactin hormone was studied using Beckman Coulter Access-II method in
Results: Prolactin hormone levels 0–20 mg/ml were highest in secondary group 29 (64.4%), 21–10 mg/ml was highest primary
group 26 (57.7%) >100 observed only 1 (2.2%) secondary Menses 14 (31.1%), oligomenorrhea 21 (46.6%), and 6 (13.3%) were
highest in primary group while amenorrhea was highest 10 (22.2%) in secondary group. Duration of marriage period was highest
in secondary group.
Conclusion: Hyper prolectinemia with thyroid dysfunction may be a major contributor hormonal factor in primary and secondary
reproduction. Clin Endodcrinol 2007;66:309-21.
2. Frey KA, Patel KS. Initial evaluation and management of
infertility by the primary care physicians. Mayo Clin Proc
3. Mishra R, Baveja R, Gupta V. Prolactin level in infertility
with menstrual irregularities. J Obstet Gynaecol India
4. Valvekar U, Vishwanathan S. Prevalence of
hyperprolactinaemia and hypothyroidism in primary and
secondary infertility women. Source Med Sci Technol
5. Zollner U, Kabing K. Assessment of endocrine status in
patients undergoing in vitro fertilization treatment. Is it
necessary? Arch Gynecol Obstat 2001;265:15-20.
6. Shope D, Mushell DR. Hypoprolectenemia diagnosis and
treatment. In: Mishells Text of Infertility, Contraception and
Reproductive Endocrinology. 4th ed. Massachusetts: Black
Well Science; 1997. p. 232-41.
7. Choudhary SD, Gosami A. Hyperprolectinemia and reproductive disorders. J Assoc Physician Ind 1995;43:617-8.
8. Krassas GE. Thyroid disease and female reproduction. Fertil
9. Wokim AN, Polizotto SL. Influence of thyroxin on human
granulose cell steriodogesis in vitro. J Asst Reprod Gemet
10. Ever MC. The infertility couple. Am J Physician
11. Emokapae MA, Osodoler HB. Subclinical hypothyroidism
in infertility Nigerian women with hyper prolactinemia.
Niger J Physiol Sci 2011;26:35-8.
12. Bassey IE, Udoh AE. Thyroid hormones and prolactin levels
in infertile women in Southern Nigeria. J Clin Diagn Res