Comparison of Fistulotomy and Fistuloctomy in Low Anal Fissure in Maharashtra Population: A Retrospective Study
Background: Anal fistula has been known as a common surgical ailment for over two and a half millennia. Current management
remains dependent on surgeon preference between options such as fistulotomy and fistulectomy. Hence, a functional and clinical
outcome of fistulotomy versus fistulectomy was studied.
Method: Out of sixty, 30 patients Group-A was operated fistulotomy and Group-B 30 patients operated fistulectomy.
Results: The surgical parameters in both groups were highly significant (P < 0.001) post-surgical complications were higher
fistulectomy, that is, urinary retention, bleeding, and infection. In the comparison of measurement of incontinence of gas was
higher rate in fistulectomy but recurrence higher rate in fistulectomy but recurrence was 1 (3.3%) observed in fistulotomy.
Conclusion: Fistulotomy is a simple and effective method for the treatment of simple perianal fistula. It has shorter operating
time with less post-operative pain and less time needed for wound healing compared with fistutectomy. Moreover, incidences of
post-operative complications, incontinence, were also observed in fistulectomy.
Bulstrode CJ, editors. Bailey and Love’s Short Practice
of Surgery. 25th ed. London UK: Edward Arnold; 2008.
2. Farguharson M, Moran BB. Surgery of anus and perineum.
In: Rintoal RF, editor. Farquhrsan’s Text Book of Operative
General Surgery. 9th ed. United Kingdom: Basing Stoke;
2005. p. 445-48.
3. El-Sebal OI, E-Susy AA. Comparative study between
internal sphincterotomy and sentinel pile flap in the
treatment of chronic and fissure. Menoufia Med J
4. Lunniss PJ, Philips RK. Anal Fistula Evaluation and
Management Specialist Surgical Practice Colorectal Surgery.
5th ed., Ch. 14. London, UK: Hospital and Academic
Institute; 2014. p. 251-217.
5. Kirk RM. General Surgical Operation. 4th ed. Hoff Brabd
Edinburg: Churchill Living Stone; 2000. p. 361-3.
6. Siano P. Fistula-in ano a defined population incidence and
epidemiological aspects. Ann Chir Gynaecol 1984;73:219-24.
7. Sharma D. Advances in the management of fistula in ano.
World J Pharm Res 2017;12:18-24.
8. Janugambe BH, Hoshedar Tata N. A clinicopathological
study of fistula in ano. J Evol Med Dent
9. Mangual RN, Tadu DN. The sphincter preserving
perennial fistulectomy a better alternative. Indian J Surg
10. Kim DS. Comparison of fistulectomy and fistulotomy with
marsupialisation in management of a simple and fistula.
J Korean Soc Coloproctol 2012;28:67-81.
11. Kranborg O. To lay open or incise a fistula in ano;
randomized trial. Br J Surg 1985;75:970-72.