Study of Ultrasonographic Evaluation of Vaginal Bleeding in Pregnancy of Bihar Women
Background: Vaginal bleeding in pregnancy at different weeks of gestation is common disorder but if quantity, duration, and
frequency exceed, it becomes life threatening and demands emergency treatment with admittance. Hence, it is mandatory to know
the cause of bleeding by clinical examination if clinical examination is inconclusive, ultrasonography (USG) is ideal to diagnose.
Materials and Methods: One hundred pregnant women aged between 18 and 45 years old. Presented vaginal bleeding was
studied with clinical examination and compared with USG/transvaginal sonography (TVS) studied.
Results: The highest age group of vaginal bleeding was 21–30 years followed by 31–40 years. USG findings ruled out that
majority of obstetrics and gynecology problems observed in <20 weeks of gestation as compared with more than 20 weeks of
gestation. Abruption placenta, abortion disorders, and location of placenta were misdiagnosed by clinical examination and properly
diagnosed by USG study.
Conclusion: The USG/TVS study is an ideal and perfect technique to rule out the exact causes of vaginal bleeding. It will be
helpful to obstetrician and gynecologist to treat such patients efficiently and avoid the life-threatening emergency, morbidity, and
mortality among pregnant women.
gynaecology. J Obstet Gynaecol 1991;10:14-6.
2. Deutchman M, Tubay AT, Turok D. First trimester bleeding.
Am Fam Physician 2009;79:985-92.
3. Rani PR, Sunitha V. Ultrasound trimester of pregnancy.
J Obstet Gynaecol India 2000;50:54-8.
4. Goldstein SR, Subramanyam BR, Raghavendra BN,
Horii SC, Hilton S. Subchorionic bleeding in threatened
abortion: Sonographic findings and significance. Am J
5. Morin L. Diagnostic imaging committee, society of obstetrics
and gynaecologist Canada. Ultrasound evaluation of first
trimester, pregnancy complications. J Obstet Gynaecol Can
6. Khanna A, Prakash C. Ultrasonography in the diagnosis of
bleeding per vaginum during pregnancy J Obstet Gynaecol
7. Sofat R. Ultrasound evaluation of bleeding in early
pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol India 1987;31:344-7.
8. Puspha O, Lokhade, Vinod D, Karanjekar M. Ultrasonographic
study in pregnancy bleeding. Ann Niger Med 2012;6:30-4.
9. Ahmed F. Effect of socio-demographic and gestational status
in the development of iron deficiency anaemia in pregnancy.
Pak Nutr 2012;11:545-9.
10. Thangaleela Y, Vijaylakshnia K. Prevalence of anaemia in
pregnancy. J Nutr Diet 1994;31:26-8.